I suggest you ...

Create a "Where is it nice?" feature

I'd like to see a feature where you could see the closest place having nice weather, relative to your position. If my location has rain forecast for the next few days, where is the next closest place that has some sun in the forecast? That would be immensely useful for those of us who plan backpacking and camping trips! Thank you!

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Don BrearleyDon Brearley shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sawyer SuttonSawyer Sutton commented  · 

This is not the weather channel or weather.com. Let's keep it that way.

• demarinisdemarinis commented  · 

I also miss such a search feature.
        Actually it should be generalised, like find places in April month where the average/mean temperature is between 20-30 c and cloud cover below 65%.
        Maybe an advanced faceted search that let one filter on any weather attribute: temp, cloud cover, wind etc etc.

This would help find best places for planned holidays in certain months. Or avoid certain months for certain destinations. If one would combine this with flights info and hotel/accomodation reservation you have the best holiday travel expert tool.

• Don BrearleyDon Brearley commented  · 

I guess I'll need to see that in action before I can judge, but I get the feeling that may be not quite what I'm looking for. I have no doubt that it'd be a challenge to implement, as there are many factors at play in determining what a 'good forecast' is. I'd just like to press a little sun icon and get my map moved to where theres at least one sunny day in the forecast.

Thanks for the great work :)

• Jacob NAdminJacob N (Founder, WeatherSpark) commented  · 

Interesting idea! We're looking into adding more map features, with the intention of adding forecast maps for temperature, precipitation, etc. That way you could simply play back the forecast over the map (much like you can play back the radar) and see where the weather is forecasted to be nice.

It's not super-easy to do, so it'll take a while, but stay tuned! ;)

Feedback and Knowledge Base